Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:28:41 +0200
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        bryan cassidy <linux_kinda_guy@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix Help Please!

Hiya,

I'm running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8, so I'm not sure my comments apply to 4.10.

bryan cassidy wrote:

>Hello. Running FreeBSD 4.10. I am using Mutt as my MUA
>and want to use Postfix as my MTA. I have the
>following in my /etc/rc.conf (This is everything
>related to my network settings)
>
>hostname="bsdjunky.homeunix.org"
>ifconfig_xl0="inet my.ip.address netmask
>255.255.255.0"
>pccard_ifconfig="inet my.ip.address netmask
>255.255.255.0"
>kern_securelevel="NO"
>sshd_enable="NO"
>gateway_enable="YES"
>hostname="bsdjunky.homeunix.org"
>portmap_enable="NO"
>network_interfaces="auto"
>rwhod_enable="YES"
>ppp_enable="YES"
>ppp_profile="pppoe"
>ppp_mode="background"
>sendmail_enable="NO"

I only have the above line regarding to sendmail (Though I'm not sure if
it is important or not. I just keep it in there since it's working).
Remember, the sendmail executable is replaced during the postfix
installation. You will NEED sendmail executable to maintain
compatibility with other programs. If you check out the man page of
sendmail, you'll see this:

NAME
       sendmail - Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface

>sendmail_flags="-bd"
>sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
>sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
>sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
>sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

So you might want to consider to remove the above lines.

>In /etc/periodic.conf
>
>daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
>daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
>daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
>daily_submit_queuerun="NO"

5.2.1. doesn't have the /etc/periodic.conf file, (at least, I don't have
it, so I assume that it has changed) but you might want to consider to
enable that.

I have no experience with PPP or PPPoE at all, so I'm afraid I can't
help you with that.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Jorn