Date:      Tue,  1 Oct 2002 13:23:16 -0700
From:      Stephen Beitzel <sbeitzel@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to use a USB CD-RW device?

I've been searching the mailing lists and a few websites and run into what
feels like a dead-end.

From the Handbook, I gleaned that I need to use cdrecord to burn CDs.

From some previous messages about USB scanners and cameras, I found out
that I need to make sure that SCSI and USB drivers are enabled in my kernel
configuration, and that usbd_enable="YES" needs to be in /etc/rc.conf.

So now, with the options enabled in my kernel, usbd running, and after a
fresh MAKEDEV all to make sure the devices are all properly built, I'm in
the following situation:

from /var/log/messages:
Oct  1 13:03:44 mumble /kernel: ugen0: vendor 0x1189 USB Optical Storage
Device, rev 1.00/a.03, addr 2

[root@mumble /root]$ cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a28 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.6) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

So I'm wondering, what does this mean? I made sure that the SCSI system was
enabled in the kernel configuration, but is there something else that needs
to be done? Or is this message not really indicative of a problem with the
SCSI system?

Thanks for any help,
Steve