Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:03:49 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 07:01:49PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> The ata driver has been available for you and other to test for a long
> time.

That may be the case, but the vast majority of our users don't run
-current, for good reason, and so are in no position to test it.  4.0
will be their first exposure to ata, and you should definitely expect
it to have problems that have been shaken out of the wd driver.

Poul, I'd like to know what's wrong with

  (1)  Putting ata in GENERIC

  (2)  Keeping wd in LINT, commented out

  (3)  A big notice in UPDATING, saying that ata is the replacement for
       wd.  Make wd require "options I_WANT_WD" or something similar,
       so that people can't simply re-config their existing configuration
       file.

That gives you the best of all possible worlds.  Most people can move to
ata immediately.  Those people that can't can still run 4.0 with wd, and
will know that it's going away for 4.1, and can take part in reporting
the problems they're having with ata.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell