Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:01:44 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <denorris@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can a FreeBSD slice be increased in size?

I have a machine at work whose main drive runs Windows, and I installed a
second hard drive (20GB) for use with FreeBSD (which is now my primary
desktop).  At the time, I anticipated a need to possibly install Linux on
that drive as well, so I allocated only 10GB to the FreeBSD slice, with the
other 10GB left unused for a future Linux install.

Since then, I have decided that I probably will not install Linux after all,
so I was wondering if there is any combination of fdisk and disklabel
commands that I can use to add that 10GB of empty space to the existing
FreeBSD slice, then use growfs to increase my /usr filesystem to make use of
it.

Can this be done using commands, or is my only choice a
backup/repartition/reinstall/restore scenario?  I would make a backup of
critical areas anyway before I tried any procedures; I was just trying to
avoid a drive wipe if possible.

Thanks,
Derrick