Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:01:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   was: some woes about rc.conf.site

This looks like a good addition to rc.conf(5).  A description of what
the inventor(s) intended when adding rc.conf.site and rc.conf.local to
the system.

> Typically I use 'sysinstall' exactly once in one machine's lifetime.
> My old method of dealing with 'rc.conf' and 'rc.conf.local' was:
>     => sysinstall generates a modified rc.conf

mv rc.conf.site rc.conf.local

>     => cp /usr/src/etc/rc.conf rc.conf
>     => vi rc.conf.local
>        delete all the lines not suitable for rc.conf.local
>
>     after making a new world:

diff /etc/rc.conf /usr/src/etc/rc.conf

>        => have a close look at the 'diffs' and check if any of the
>           changes conflict with my current rc.conf.local.

or, if there are any additions needed to my rc.conf.local.

If there are diffs,
cp /usr/src/etc/rc.conf /etc

> Now, with 'rc.conf.site' I just don't have to bother with rc.conf
> after a fresh installation. I would just move rc.conf.site to rc.conf.local
> and then procede as earlier mentioned.

tomdean