Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 03:17:49 -0700
From:      "Juan Lorenzana" <lorenzaj@agcs.com>
To:        lorenzaj@agcs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.2 Hanging

I have a FreeBSD 2.2.2 installation running on a PII 333 with 512 Megs
of ram and 1024 Megs of swap.  Due to the nature of the application
running on it, we can not upgrade.  The kernel is configured for 256
megs of ram, but that is because I thought I might have other issues
(bounce buffers) that might be kludging everything up.  maxusers is set
to 64, maxmem to 256, and I have a few shared memory options but other
than that, I have the basic GENERIC kernel.  The box uses the vx0 driver
for a 3COM905 card running 100 M/bits full duplex and has a Mylex BT-958
SCSI controller with an IBM 4 gig disk with S.M.A.R.T. enabled.

The system runs as an nfs client and therefore runs nfsiod -n 4
I am mounting from another FreeBSD box with /sbin/mount -t nfs -o
-i,-s,-w=1024 nfs_serv:/u /u
or /sbin/mount -t nfs -o -i,-s,-w=1024,-r=8192 nfs_serv:/u /u    it does
not matter.

The nfs server has max open set to 512 which should break RPC calls (but
this was working fine before). The nfs server has a raid volume with two
partition and mounts both with -noatime for better performance.

The nfs client machine hangs and I do not know why.  The symptoms are as
follows:
Console hangs (takes no input nor produces output), tcp/ip stack is
still up and responds to ping.
Telnet only gets this far
_
Trying 192.168.22.193...
Connected to host246.agcs.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

That's it. cntl-alt-delete will sometime reboot but not always. Any
ideas what I might be running into?
I have looked at pstat -T, netstat -m, swapinfo, top, but nothing out of
the normal and it does not look like I hit an limits.  I have set up the
login.conf file so that both root and default users have infinity
(unlimited) everything. I did this because I thought I was hitting some
type of limit that was not showing up in the pstat, netstat, nor fstat.

I do not know what to do next. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have
ktrace enabled, but do not know how to use it.  I suspect that maybe
there is an nfs issue with the FreeBSD NFS server having maxopen set to
512 and possible rpc issues.  I had the nfs client (machine that hangs)
set that way for a while, but that did not make things better nor worse.

The system just gets to a point where everything stop working, and there
is plenty of memory left, and no signs of trouble nor a panic in the
logs. I have swapped out the memory as well as the ethernet card once
before. Thanks for any help you can offer.  Please email with ideas or
suggestions. Thanks again and I hope I posted this question to the right
areas.

Regards,

--
Juan Lorenzana