Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:51:00 -0500
From:      Ray Seals <rayseals@midwestis.com>
To:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

The Heart & Soul of the Internet is not the problem.  It's corporate
America.  I'm fairly new to FreeBSD, I've only been using for about 1 year.
 I have a client who is also a pretty decent friend of mine.  I told him
that could pull out all his MS Mail servers and replace them with FreeBSD
servers running sendmail.  Thus saving them some major cash on moving to
Outlook.  But he brought up a good point, what about maintenance.  It's
hard to find good UNIX people, Netware people, NT people or any competent
people for that fact.

In general I have been able to find a FreeBSD equivalent to most of the
Microsoft Server applications but one.  I haven't found anything to replace
Schedule + or Group colaberation software.  If anyone can help me there I
would appreciate it.

The desktop will normally be ruled by Windoze.  The server end is were you
can make some headway.  We need to advertise the fact that FreeBSD can be
an SQL server, it can be a Web server, it can be a file and print server,
it can be a proxy server, it can be anything.

Most technical people will agree that there is something better than
Micro$oft.  Management on the other hand is leery of free software.  Most
Management people are not technical people.

Jordan, I would like to go on record as saying that I would pay for the BSD
news letter to help our cause.

Ray

- I don't know if I said anything of interest, but I feel better.

Midwest Information Systems

http://www.midwestis.com
Ray Seals
Network Engineer