Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 13:55:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940 anyone?

I'm having lots of problems here .... Very odd ... I built a system with
an old Adaptec ISA board - over ethernet and it was fine. I plug in an
Adaptec 2940 and it just won't boot. Sits there saying "No operating
system" (or something).

When I try a rebuild from scratch, it freezes when doing the newfs part of
the installation. Sometimes on the first disk, sometimes on the others.

System config is: Asus montherboard, 48MB RAM, DX4/100, 256K cache, PCI
based video card, 3c590 ethernet card and either a crappy old ISA based
Adaptec card or the 2940 PCI card.

3 drives, 2 x 1GB Seagate Medalists and a 4GB Micropolis. (Theres
terminating resistors on the micropolis, termination is disabled on the
other 2 drives).

I'm loading a 2.2 snapshot version (960501-SNAP) so I can use the 3c590
ethernet card and it works a treat with the crappy old ISP Adaptec card
and doesn't work at all with the new one )-:

Any insight to this problem? I've tried 2 different 2940's too, so I
don't think that there is a board problem...

Gordon