Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:42:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@bigwheel.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail problems

Hi --

For some reason, just after installing Apache, outgoing mail
to destinations outside the local domain is not being dispatched
while local mail is being handled properly as is incoming mail.
Non-local outgoing mail is supposed to be sent to a Smart Host
(jupiter) via uucp.  If I send a message to doug@neptune.net
(which would be outside the local domain), sendmail queues the
message for future delivery.  According to both the message header
and mailq, the reason for the deferral is:

    host map: lookup (neptune.net): deferred

Which certainly indicates to me that it doesn't know what to do
with messages addressed to neptune.net.

Applying debug to the Parse1 ruleset, I find that the delivery
agent for mail addressed to outside domains is correctly uucp-dom
while the delivery agent for local mail is correctly local.

First, would someone please verify for me that I should expect
that sendmail would not queue the outbound mail but immediately
pass it to the uucp delivery agent which should then queue it for
the next contact?  IOW, in this type of arrangement, the queue
for outbound non-local mail is handled by UUCP and not sendmail,
correct?

Secondly, I would appreciate any thoughts on how to debug this
situation.  I need to know why the outbound mail is being held
in the sendmail queue rather than being passed to the delivery
agent (or, looking at it from the other side, why the UUCP
delivery agent isn't accepting the outbound mail).  TIA for
any help.

     ... doug
Doug Jolley    mailto://doug@bigwheel.net     http://www.bigwheel.net
         Don't bogart that file, my friend.  Net it over to me.