Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mervin McDougall <mcd_advisory@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting High resolution console and Xorg to coexist

Hi all
  I recently installed freebsd 6.0 on my laptop, a
compaq presario 2100. Thus far I am satisfied with
just about everything that I have been able to
accomplish on freebsd. However, I tried setting the
high resolution console using the raster graphics on
freebsd and this has had some undesirable results.
  After recompiling my kernel and getting the
resolution of the console to 1024x768 I tried playing
music on my xmms player and switching between xorg and
the virtual console and there would be some
degradation of the sound. I am not sure whether there
is an increased load on the kernel whenever switching
between the two interfaces but I have notice some
spiking on xload when switching between the two.
  I took a friends advice and increased the pcm
buffersize and the irqrate but this has had no effect
in improving the sound quality. I have noticed as well
that when reading long files, there is also a
degradation of sound quality. For example while
reading NOTES in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf the sound from
xmms, which was being played on xfce, would slow down
as I paged through the document or when scrolled
through line by line using the arrowpad.
   I am not sure what is causing the problem or why it
is behaving in this manner but I would be more than
happy to provide any extra information about the
problem. I had an opportunity to scan through the
mailing lists for similar problems but did not find
one that quite fit this descritption.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Mervin McDougall