Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:45:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        Brett Davidson <brett@net24.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A wee while ago, USB support on FreeBSD6.2 SMP systems was discouraged. Is that still the case?

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Brett Davidson wrote:

> youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Brett Davidson wrote:
>>
>>> If there are patches/updates to this issue I would REALLY like to know
>>> about them! :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brett Davidson
>>> Systems Engineer
>>> -- Net24 Limited
>>> Web: www.net24.co.nz
>>> Phone: 0800 5000 24 | DDI: +64 3 962 9518
>>> -- // web hosting / email hosting / data backup // our reputation for
>>> reliability precedes us
>>>
>>> This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential
>>> information. If you have received this transmission in error, please
>>> delete it and notify the sender.
>>
>> I may be wrong, but USB support has always been giant-locked, and continues
>> to be giant-locked, at least until Hans work maybe gets integrated into
>> 8-CURRENT after a major code review.
>>
>> -Garrett
>>
> Thanks Garrett.
>
> By the way, my colleague informed me incorrectly that USB and SMP support was
> an issue. (Although I am keen for this to work!) :-)

Heh :).

> From the latest source, the Kernel PAE conf file mentions that USB and PAE are
> not known to play well together. This is my immediate concern.

Not sure if that's a problem. PAE is just an ugly ugly hack, but you probably know that by now... should have gone with amd64 ;).

> I presume giant-locking is one mutex that rules them all? As such, besides
> being inefficient under load, how would running USB under this be a problem
> with PAE?

Uhm, it's sorta like that. Many drivers are still using giant-locks, but there's a lot of effort going into removing those giant locks for creating more SMP'goodness :).