Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:22:56 -0800
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        Dan Delaney <dionysos@Dionysia.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If not uw-imap, then WHICH imap?

> > > Since the FreeBSD port of uw-imap exclaims that uw-imap has
> > > known security problems, and thus does not recommend using it,
> > > then my question is, WHICH imapd server do the FreeBSD folks
> > > recommend if you don't want to convert ALL of your users' mbox
> > > mail folders to maildir or Cyrus formats? Or, is there some
> > > reason why we really SHOULD convert to one of those formats?
> >
> > Courier IMAP server.  -sc
>
> Please read before posting - Courier doesn't support mbox.
>
> To answer Dan's question: Maildir is useful if you want to mount
> mail via NFS, and will have to live without reliable file locking.
>
> Personally, I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and install
> UW-IMAP, if that's what my users wanted, especially if I was in a
> relatively secure environment, say a firewalled network, where the
> user community could be regarded as somewhat trustworthy.  Cyrus is
> a lot of fun, but you definately have to have the time to enjoy it.
> I played with Courier a bit and it just seemed really ooky, in that
> the config files I saw were really just shell scripts to set
> environment variables that the imapd would then use.
>
> YMMV, there is no ideal IMAPD.  Perhaps there exists the right
> combination of mbox and IMAP Perl modules to cobble one together? :)

Not to knock my alumni, esp since the IMAP standard is such a
wonderful concept, but, I don't trust the UW-IMAP server at all.  If
you'd like, I can give you a script that'll convert all of your mbox
mailboxes to Maildir.  It's a quick and painless perl script that fits
in nicely with existing systems.  I've migrated over 30,000 mboxes
with it before.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden