Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:16:17 +1300
From:      David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
To:        dizzyd@dizzyd.com (Dave Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating BSD bootable CD

At 17:10 19/02/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm interested in taking FreeBSD and putting it on a bootable CD for use in
>a so-called "appliance". Can anyone recommend a place to start?

I started in the handbook, the section on backups and creating a bootable
floppy was invaluable. It's also worth trawling the archives of
freebsd-small, in particular look for "tinybsd" which (IIRC) is a
configurable script for making a small installation of FreeBSD without
going to the lengths that pico goes to, crunchgen etc.

This is an eminently doable problem, you have a good half dozen valid
approaches that can be taken.

Dave