Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 00:37:32 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Andreas Kohout <shanee@rabbit.augusta.de>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Numbercount in /kernel

Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Andreas Kohout wrote:
>
> > if I boot, there is a messages from the kernel:
> >
> >   FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Sat Aug 17 22:36:48 MET DST 1996
> >
> > Should4nt the #0 been incremented by every new kernel compilation?
>
> Only if you run config with the -n option to save the compliation
> directory.  The advantage, other than incrementing the #, is that kernel
> compilations take about half the time to do since many of the support
> files aren't recompiled.
>
> There are many instances where you don't want to do this, though, and can
> cause odd problems.

Yea, I learned this the hard way once, Now I'll just let it take
longer. :)
Although I was doing it for faster compiles not counts.

Would be kinda nice to have it store the count someplace
else so removal of the compile dir dosn't trash the count.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848