Date:      Tue, 15 May 2007 16:04:49 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Guido Demmenie <rottweilertje@rottnic.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Security Patches using freebsd-update(8)

Guido Demmenie wrote:
> I'm really glad the FreeBSD team brought freebsd-update(8) in the base
> system. Now I can do my security patches with much less hassle. But i
> have one question about this great tool.
>
> When do I have to reboot?

If in doubt, reboot.  While there are obvious cases (e.g., you should
reboot after applying a kernel security patch) it's almost impossible
to give advice which will be correct for every situation.

One item on my FreeBSD Update feature wishlist is to provide such
guidance; there's a Google Summer of Code student working on FreeBSD
Update who might have time to do this towards the end of the summer.

Colin Percival