Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:53:47 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DD copy is too slow

What kind of disks are involved?

I was having a similar problem recently and went hunting on the
Maxtor web site, where I discovered an interesting little tech
support note that Maxtor disks are shipped with a "feature" that
verifies all writes until the power has been cycled 10 times.

They also have a DOS utility that can turn it on, turn it off,
change the counter value, ...

So out of curiosity I found a DOS boot disk, put the utility on
it, and rebooted the machine to check the status of the write
verify.  It came up and said write verification was disabled.

When I rebooted back to FreeBSD the problem was fixed.

While it is possible that the reboot I did to run the DOS utility
was the 10th reboot that caused the write verify feature to be
disabled, I don't think so.  I had already been doing disk-to-disk
tests and getting decent throughput.  It seemed to be more some
bizarre anomaly that arose in the box when we moved it to the
install site, and somehow the couple of reboots we did fixed it.

Also, the Maxtor disk came in a HP PC with Windows 2000 pre-installed.
Presumably there were at least a couple of reboots involved in HP
installation process, and presumably some sort of QA.  Then the PC
had been rebooted here at least a few times.  It may not have been
far beyond 10 reboots, but I think it's likely it was beyond it.

However, that doesn't mean that other people aren't getting bitten
by it, particularly if you buy a "clean" Maxtor disk and drop it
in your FreeBSD box.

Either way, my suggestion is reboot the box once or twice and see
if it fixes it (as it did for me), and if not and it's a Maxtor
disk you're trying to write to, download their utility, put it on
a DOS boot disk and make sure the write verify flag is off.

Tony
--
Tony Landells						<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Principal Networks, Security & IT Systems Engineer	Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319