Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:40:12 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: external drive

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 06:21:35PM -0400, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> There are some files (basically some custom config  and cf files) that I
> would like to copy from the 5.5 drive -=20
> So I put it in an external enclosure  and needless to say windows wouldn't
> recognize it - and the MAC OSX though it sees it , it wont let me mount it
> (despite the fact that I clicked mount drive )=20
>=20
> 2 questions;
>=20
> 1. Is there anything out there that would let me read a BSD drive from a
> windows or mac machine?

Windows doesn't understand UFS. But there are tools for reading UFS on
windows, e.g. http://ufs2tools.sourceforge.net/

The Mac can use a kind of UFS filesystem, but I don't know if it
supports bsdlabels.

> 2. If I do just plug the drive into the BSD USB port will it cause any
> conflicts as there will be duplicates of the main slices
> /var
> /usr etc..
>=20
> Or am I safe just plugging it in and mounting it?

If you mount a partition from a USB disk, you have to tell mount where
to put it. So create some directories like /mnt/usr etc and mount the
partitions from the USB disks there.

Roland
--=20

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C