Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2015 11:02:13 -0553.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: problems running OpenGL code

On 12/12/15 10:41, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 09:36:23 -0553.75, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>
>> I have an inhouse OpenGL code named PreBFCGL.TEST which I am trying to
>> run. I get the following when I tried about 5 min. ago:
>>

>> [wam@kabini1, ~, 9:30:21am] 936 % PreBFCGL.TEST
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> [wam@kabini1, ~, 9:30:38am] 937 % cat BFC.LOG
>> [...]
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Error: No RGB visual with depth buffer
>>
>>           Done, Bailing out ....
>>    Saving Model Command File to Model_0.in .... done.
> It seems to be an X error - the GL extension (GLX) is not
> loaded. If you're running X with xorg.conf, make sure
>
> 	Section "Module"
> 		[...]
> 	        Load            "glx"
> 		[...]
> 	EndSection

Check.

> is being defined. For OpenGL, other things like direct
> rendering (DRI, DRM) might be needed. You can always
> check this with tools like glxinfo, xdriinfo, glxgears,
> or other programs that make use of OpenGL (for example,
> "xlock -mode fire" or "xlock -mode lament").
>
> The top of "glxinfo" output should look like this:
>
> 	name of display: :0.0
> 	display: :0  screen: 0
> 	direct rendering: Yes
> 	server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> 	server glx version string: 1.4
> 	server glx extensions:
> 	[...]
> 	client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> 	client glx version string: 1.4
> 	client glx extensions:
> 	[...]
> 	GLX version: 1.4

Hmmmm:

[root@kabini1, /etc, 10:56:18am] 767 % glxinfo
glxinfo: Command not found.
[root@kabini1, /etc, 10:56:19am] 768 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p24 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p24 #0: Sat
Aug 22 01:54:44 UTC 2015
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[root@kabini1, /etc, 10:56:29am] 769 %

> Of course your graphics hardware should be reflected accordingly. :-)
>
> For this to work, I had to put
>
> 	drm_load="YES"
> 	nvidia_load="YES"

Hmmmm .... OK, just did  that. Do have them installed:

[root@kabini1, /etc, 10:56:29am] 769 % grep -i drm LIST.installed.txt
drm-kmod-9.280208              FreeBSD 9.3 Kernel DRM driver
libdrm-2.4.60,1                Userspace interface to kernel Direct
Rendering Module services
[root@kabini1, /etc, 10:57:09am] 770 % grep -i nvidia LIST.installed.txt
nvidia-driver-340-340.93       NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
hardware OpenGL rendering
[root@kabini1, /etc, 10:57:16am] 771 %

I just 'kldload'-ed drm & nvidia, I'll try again momentarily ....

> in /boot/loader.conf - in your case, something similar will probably
> be needed. ALso make sure to install relevant libraries as needed
> (libGL, libGLU, libdrm, Mesa, ...).

Check.

>> Am I hosed until 3D OpenGL works for AMD jaguars ? If so, how is
>> progress on that front ? These are fairly common APUs, widely used in
>> laptops, some low-end desktops & some tablets, it would be sweet to get
>> this going :-) ....
> As far as I know, this special kind of "graphics card" isn't that
> easy to use. It starts with the proper driver. Which one are you
> currently using?

Uuuuuuuuuhhhh .... Not sure. VESA, I think, how do I check ?

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.