Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:39:18 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Alexander Derevyanko <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody know something about port 113 (auth) ?

In the last episode (Oct 03), Alexander Derevyanko said:
> While debugging some problems of mail sending from MS Outlook to
> FreeBSD SMTP server, I found curious thing - Windowz tryes to access
> port 113 - (auth) on SMTP server. What does it needed from it,
> anybody know ? And may be i can provide such service to it ?

If you're running 4.0 or higher, edit /etc/inetd.conf and uncomment the

 auth   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o UNKNOWN -t 30

line.  If you're running anything older, install the pidentd port and
uncomment the "external ident" line in inetd.conf.

Not having auth services won't affect mail delivery in any way, though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com