Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:43:53 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't get debug symbols in gaim

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:48:32AM -0500, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> Hello:
>=20
> Please see subject - -DDEBUG_FLAGS doesn't work with gaim
> (no some other ports).  I did manage to get (in this case)
> gaim *built* with -g, but "make install" uses -s no matter
> what I do.  Ideas?  I think this has to be some kind of
> glitch in the Mk system somehow...(?)

This isn't really a "glitch in the Mk system"; it's the case that most
ported software was never designed by their authors to allow this.

99% of ports use their own makefiles and not the system makefiles
(/usr/share/mk/*).  If they used the latter then you could install
the unstripped binaries by setting "STRIP=3D" (ie. a null value), but if
they don't then your options are:

a) copy the binary into place by hand after it is built

b) use whatever port-specific mechanism is included in the vendor
makefiles for not stripping binaries (may not exist)

c) hack the port makefiles to not strip binaries on install.

Kris

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--