Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:17:52 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/kdelibs11 Makefile ports/x11/kdelibs11/pkgDESCR PLIST

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 04:12:30PM -0800, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> I think this is fine, except for one thing I'm not sure about since
> I'm not a libtool expert -- is there absolutely no way that a piece of
> software would try to read the .la files and try to do something
> sensible with them?

Sadly, there is a way, though I haven't found one that directly
relates to KDE.  I noticed that .la files were being installed by
the lang/librep and x11-toolkits/rep-gtk ports (dependencies of
x11-wm/sawmill) -- removing them by judicious use of USE_LIBTOOL
and a couple of patches rendered the ports unusable in a number
of weird and wonderful ways.

In this particular case (KDE), we'd probably have to look through
the configure scripts and generated Makefiles to see if the .la
files are actually used.

One way to do check this fairly quickly would be to see what
would normally get written into the .la file, and instead use
a simple post-install target to overwrite it with something in
the same format, but with obviously bogus values, eg:

	dlname='libKDEBOGUS.so.666'
	library_names='libKDEBOGUS.so.666 libKDEBOGUS.so'
	old_library='libKDEBOGUS.'
	dependency_libs='-L/KDEBOGUS/lib'
	current=666
	age=0
	revision=0
	installed=yes
	libdir='/KDEBOGUS/lib'

if something actually does use the values from this file, it should
be relatively straightforward to have the package building cluster
pick up on it on the next sweep of the tree.

Comments?  Other than "libtool is a pile of *&#!@&^!...." :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.