Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:54:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   webct on freebsd?

My division at work is considering splitting-off our non-credit and
certificate students from the University-wide WebCT server --which
currently hosts all Distance Learning students.

Universitry Information Services has recommended we purchase a SUN box and
install the SUN flavor of WebCT.  However, they are so backlogged that it
isn't even a possiblity until sometime in September (after the Fall
semester has started).

I have a spare --well, not really a spare, but a development box-- Dell PE
2500 (dual processor, 933MHZ each, with a gig of ram and 42 gigs free RAID
5 HD space) that's running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE.  I'd like to try and take a
shot at installing WebCT on that box and, if possible, using it as the
eventual production server to host our WebCT courses.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to how I might make that
happen? ("Forget it, it's impossible!" comments are also welcome).

For the record, this box also supports the Linux ABI (v 7.1.x) and SVR4,
but I'm not sure if either of those features is even relavent.

TIA

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT