Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:24:57 -0400
From:      Mark Plummer <markus@clark.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Troy Landers <tdl@widomaker.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: EIDE CDROM, Motherboard & USB questions...

> > 3)...
> > Also, is there FreeBSD support for the Universal Serial Bus (USB), or
> > are there plans to support USB?  I am trying to decide if I should wait
> > on the new version, the Tyan Tomcat II+ that will have USB built in.
>
> Never heard of it.  In which case, not likely.  But if you want to write
> a driver for it....

hello,

    i believe the universal serial bus in question has gone by the name
firewire and has a fair bit of backing (which means it has a chance of
being ubiquitous someday).  i know there's an ieee standard dealing with
it (assuming it's what i'm thinking of).  basically it's a 10Mb/s bus
device supporting 64 "nodes" running on cat5 cable with a somewhat
unusual connector on the end.  the nodes are intended to be anything
from scanners or cameras to regular rs232 serial ports.  in short, it
has a chance to be the next scsi "for the rest of us".  this could be
a real boon to those who are constantly fighting the irq crunch.  a
friend has said that the next generation of intel motherboards will ship
with this, and though he's holding his breath (or atleast his purchase),
i'm not...

markus

-- Mark Plummer, markus@clark.net, +1 410 796 1272

ps: a reference: http://www.adaptec.com/firewire/1394main.html.  ieee 1394
is the standard for it (draft or proposed maybe, i'm not sure).