Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:54:49 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Net connection problem: sis, miibus

Hi all!

I have a friend who decided to try FreeBSD 4.6.2 and it works just
fine except one thing, his connection to the internet.

He has a sis network card, which is compiled into the kernel, with
miibus that is required.

He gets a connection just fine, for about half a minute, then it
doesn't work anymore, with long periods of "wait" time.

A ping to an address works perfectly, next minute a ping to the same
address does not work.

Somehow, issuing kldstat, the miibus is there, which it should not,
as it's compiled into the kernel. If I recall correct, it's not
there when it's first working, but later it is, when not working.

There is also an arp message, that looks as if some change of MAC-
address has taken place, which seem to be strange.

Also, one last thing, ifconfig says the sis is using full-duplex. Is
that ok, if maybe not the other side can handle full-duplex?

I can provide more information if needed to help me solve this pro-
blem, so that he can start using FreeBSD full time.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Best regards,
Paul