Date:      Sat, 7 May 2011 07:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sending a Fax

I knew this thread would bring up some ironies. For the record it's all in =
their =0Aminds. E-Mails have been upheld in the US Court system as legal do=
cuments. And =0Athose people afraid or distrusting of e-mail have only to g=
ive me their fax =0Anumber and watch how quickly I can send them bogus fax =
documents. Like I said, =0Ait's all in their minds. Faxing is no safer or m=
ore secure than any other form =0Aof comminication. Its simply a waste of i=
nk, toner and paper as far as I'm =0Aconcerned.=0A=0AI just finished an ass=
ignment at a dinosaur of a company which still prints of =0Asets of huge D =
and E size drawings for their estimating department. When I =0Ashowed them =
the things you can do with a software package like Bluebeam Revu, =0Athey s=
coffed at it because it costs $189 per seat. I showed them how they were =
=0Awasting $200 to $500 each week printing out huge sets of drawings. In ju=
st on =0Amonth they could have bought enough licensed copied of Revu to acc=
ount for this =0Aand then stop printing so much paper which only ends up in=
 the trash. Their =0Asecretaries were still sending out proposals via fax e=
ven when the client =0Arequested a PDF be sent by e-mail. Their reason for =
this was, "This is the only =0Away we know how and we've done it like this =
for so long, we don't want to =0Achange."=0A=0AIMHO...Faxing is so last cen=
tury.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: David Brodbeck=
 <gull@gull.us>=0ATo: FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>=0ASent: Fri=
, May 6, 2011 1:30:58 PM=0ASubject: Re: Sending a Fax=0A=0AOn Fri, May 6, 2=
011 at 3:47 AM, Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com> wrote:=0A> I read the o=
ther replies to your post so let me put in my 2 cents worth. For =0A>the=0A=
> last few years, I have basically abandoned faxing in favor of e-mailing P=
DF =0Aand=0A> other document files. Paperless is not only more efficient bu=
t its green too.=0A=0ABelieve it or not, there are industries where faxing =
is still the=0Anorm.=A0 Many industrial suppliers want purchase orders by f=
ax.=A0 It also=0Aseems to be the common way that pharmacies communicate wit=
h doctors'=0Aoffices.=A0 These are conservative industries where email (and=
=0Aespecially, email attachments) are still viewed with some suspicion.=0AA=
 lot of times these days the actual endpoint is a digital fax system,=0Atho=
ugh; sometimes the fax never actually reaches paper.=0A____________________=