Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:28:27 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc:        Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupidfs - easily extensible test file systems?

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 05:11:20PM -0500, Erez Zadok wrote:
> Many people on this list understand the problems and know how to fix them.
> There are even some experimental patches made by Eivind Eklund, but those
> patches aren't part of the kernel.  Eivind's patches used to be in
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/VOP_GETBACKINGOBJECT.patch
>
> and now they appear to be in
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/FixNULL.patch
>
> (Eivind, can you confirm the new URL?  FixNull.patch seems to include stuff
> unrelated to the VFS, such as scsi driver fixes.  Thanks.)

The URL is correct - those fixes are there because the environment I
used for working on those patches were somewhat unusual
(cross-compilation from a RELENG_2_2 box), and that brokenness was in
the way of me doing FS work, so it is fixed in that tree (though not
committed, as I was not sure it was a good idea).

> There's also been talk about some people (McKusick et al) rewriting the
> whole VFS.  While I think that's a great idea, it's a large undertaking and
> will take a long while for busy people like McKusick to complete.  I think a
> complete rewrite, if any, should be scheduled for 5.x.  I would therefore
> suggest that a simpler fix such as Eivind's be incorporated into a 4.0 so
> people can use stackable f/s (unionfs, nulls, and my wrapfs/cryptfs, etc.)
> in the more immediate future.

My patches doesn't solve the entire problem.  If they actually had
created a working environment for stacking layers, they would have
been in the kernel already.

Eivind.