Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:39:38 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "V. T. Mueller, Continum" <v.t.mueller@continum.net>
Cc:        "arch@freebsd.org" <arch@FreeBSD.org>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Removal of ICC (intel compiler) bits from mk

Quoting "V. T. Mueller, Continum" <v.t.mueller@continum.net> (from
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:15:19 +0200):

>>> A while ago it was stated by MySQL AB, that their dbms performs
>>> about 20% better when compiled with icc instead of gcc. Is this
>>> (still) true?
>>
>> This looks overly simplified. "It runs better on CPU X with
>> benchmark Y on Mainboard Z when you use gcc A.B.C with options D
>> and compare it to icc E.F.G with options H." is something you can
>> use in such cases, but it doesn't tell you if it will be the case
>> on your machines with your workload.
>>
>> If you want to know if it is faster on your machines with your
>> workload, then there is only one way to find it out: try it (be
>> warned, due to the amount of optimization options available in
>> gcc/icc, something like this will take a lot of time, as there are
>> a lot of combinations to try).
>
> Sounds reasonable. But doesn't that mean, that there is no need to
> (take the hassle to) support icc in the future? Especially while
> folks are being keen on abandon gcc for clang?

It may matter in the HPC community where optimization to a specific
CPU matters (it doesn't matter that much for MySQL). There it does not
matter much to have the kernel compiled with icc, but a icc port would
be handy for them.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing...
		-- Thomas Jefferson