Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:43:35 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation progress

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:34:38 -0453.75
"William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a ZFS install on my myth-TV
> box-to-be and .... Everything basically worked, 2 glitches, but I got
> worked around them & it is up & running, w/ 2X 1 TB 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD's
> in an unmirrored pool, about 1.8 TiB total pool size. I am configuring
> it now, & have a couple of questions. If I want it to be a NFS server &
> export /home, do I just use that reference verbatim in my /etc/exports
> file & crank the server or is there more to it ?

	You can do that, but just as ZFS has inbuilt support for managing
mounting of filesystems by setting the mountpoint property it also has
inbuilt support for managing NFS exports via the sharenfs property. Do one
or the other - not both. I started out using /etc/exports and switched to
ZFS properties for reasons I have now forgotten.

> Also, is use of tmpfs
> compatible/OK w/ ZFS 'filesystem' ?

	Sure no reason why you shouldn't use both, except perhaps for
memory pressure.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>