Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:42:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh - are you nuts?!?

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, David Preece wrote:

> At 15:37 22/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >The question asked is: why you believe ssh is beter than say
> >telnet. Or what advantages SSH has in general.
>
> Sorry, don't have time to reply to this properly.
>
> The main evil of ssh is that server authentication is not enforced,
> making mounting a man-in-the-middle attack basically trivial.

    Man-in-the-middle or not, the fact that your data aren't
transmitted in the clear automatically gives ssh a leg up over telnet,
rsh, rlogin, and ftp.  (At least one large company I know of has
stated flatly, for example, that sending a root password over the wire
in the clear is grounds for immediate termination.)  You can certainly
do your own server authentication, by carrying your known hosts file
around on a floppy.  ssh *does* warn you when you connect to a host
that isn't present in your known hosts file--this isn't happening
without your knowledge *and* consent.

    ssh may have its weaknesses, but telnet has little use other than
as a diagnostic tool, IMHO (I only use it to send protocol commands to
popd or sendmail these days).  I'd *hardly* characterize ssh as "evil".

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer