Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:58:49 +0100
From:      "H. Ingow" <hingow@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSL appears to be broken in 8-STABLE/RELEASE

First my apologies for breaking the thread.
We also had this issue and tried to find an acceptable solution.
 To make a long story short:

Please try to compile your application against the version of openssl
available in the ports tree.

As you already mentioned (SA-09:15) breaks renegotiation with base system's
openssl by fixing
a security issue ( it actually does).

Prerequisite for the following is, of course, to install
/usr/ports/security/openssl which will give you
openssl 0.9.8l . (You do not necessarily have to remove the base openssl)

You may then set      'WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=YES' to /etc/make.conf
and rebuild your application(s) with via the ports, they should then be
compiled correctly against the ports-version.

Or, but this will only work if if your application's configure script has a
switch to set  the path to ssl
 or openssl to the ports-openssl's location, something like

#  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib       ## this actually may be
removed after build

and  configure with the appropriate option maybe alike

# ./configure --openssl-path=/usr/local/lib

Just make sure it compiled properly.
The output of ldd should show (apart from other):
# ldd application
/app/li/cation
                libssl.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.5 (0x881bc000)
                libcrypto.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.5 (0x88200000)

For the applications we use, this works with both versions of openssl on the
same box, without any i
interference.

Considerations about this ?

HTH