Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 20:22:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, dfr@nlsystems.com, mike@smith.net.au, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office Installation

> Sorry, Jordan I differed with your opinion. We are obviously at a stage
> that we need to increase our coverage and in my opinion getting
> Star Office to work on FreeBSD is a good goal so the motivation
> factor is there.

Um, Amancio, you are just completely and totally missing the point
here and I don't know how else to put it.

There's activism and then there's whining.  Trying to sell "whining"
under the activism label just won't fly, no matter how you try and
twist the words around to justify it, and if you're really motivated
to do something about the problem then history has more than amply
shown us that the best results always come from someone actually DOING
something about a problem!

Lead, and others will follow.  Leave the worrying about "dominant
hackers" and other such new-age observations to the sociologists and
be the more pragmatic engineer that I know you can be.  Whining that
people are sitting on their asses is simply not how you motivate
engineers, something you should be more than well aware of yourself,
and it's yelling "charge!" and diving on a problem, perhaps describing
your ongoing detective work as it progresses, which is far more
motivational to those surrounding you.  I have plenty of statistical
evidence on previous failures and successes to back me up on this one
so just trust me on it, OK?  :-)

> Requesting censorship on the voice of reason is not an option if anything
> the useless thread on Star Office should have been steered in a more
> pro-active fashion. Perhaps you like to hear that Star Office

Ok, consider this message my attempt to steer it in a more pro-active
fashion then.  I'm telling you outright: What works and works best
around here are people who are willing to lead from the front.
Now what are you prepared to do about it?

- Jordan