Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:24:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of questions

Jeremy Vandenhouten writes:
> I have a PPP connection running just fine, but when I try to telnet
> into a VMS box remotely I get 'terminal type not supported.' Can anyone
> enlighten me as to how to change the terminal type to a basic VT100
> type under the bash shell.

Um - the terminal type describes how your terminal behaves. If you're
not on a VT100 (or some superset thereof), telling VMS that you're on
a VT100 can result in some really, really obnoxious behavior.

Fortunately, VT100's were sufficiently popular that lots of terminals
emulated them. Which led to lots of terminal emulators emulating them,
including xterm. If your bash is running in an xterm, try
"TERM=vt100", and then doing a telnet. That assumes that the VMS box
is using the terminal type passed it by telnet. You might check with
your VMS sysadmin, to find out how it's determining the terminal
type. I can't help with that - the last time I worked on VMS, it was
still >50% PDP-11 code.

> Also, at this moment in time I have a particular login account that I
> would like to add ppp access too. When I try to run ppp under this
> account it tells me access denied. What can I do to correct this?

If you are using userland ppp, check man page. It provides the details
on doing that.

	<mike