Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 22:20:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw fails between 10/17 and 11/6

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > Tough :-) That's how FreeBSD is developed (there's no such thing
> > as "committed against the next point release"), and thats why a
> > note was
>
> which would be a nice thing to have dont you think ? at least for
> stuff which requires a buildworld to fix. nevertheless, its not too
> big a deal, just caused some consternation on my side when it
> happenned.

    Remember that you are tracking a *development* source tree.
Releases are snapshots of that source tree that are taken after a
quasi-lockdown period of two to three weeks, during which time the
tree is allowed to stabilize, and only bug fixes and serious security
problems are committed.

    If what you want are "point" releases, then only install from the
CDs when they come out, or perhaps track RELENG_4_4 instead of
RELENG_4.

    IMHO, the FreeBSD development model is fabulously successful--
perhaps the best I've seen anywhere (and I've worked in a CMM 5
organization), which is why, as my company's release engineer, I'm
trying to follow FreeBSD's model as closely as I can.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)