Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:27:29 -0500
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Hartl <ghartl@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: update packages or reinstall

Gary Hartl said:

> I'm considering just wiping the system clean and starting from scratch to
> say either 6.4-release or 7.0 release.

For what it's worth, I've (so far) had 50% luck with 7.1.  My home server runs nothing special, mostly development stuff and the occasional X session.  I attempted to upgrade to 7.1 from 6.3-STABLE yesterday, and to make a long story short, am now running 6.4-RELEASE.

If you do decide to go with 7.1, I'd test drive it first, before committing that machine to that OS.  So far, I've had no problems with 6.4-* on any of my machines.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber