Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:52:14 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        "Andrei A. Dergatchev" <dergatchev@kapella.gpi.ru>, Scott Rothgaber <scott@easley.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH / PuTTY on 4.5

On Monday 19 August 2002 12:50 pm, Andrei A. Dergatchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 4.5-RELEASE here. PuTTY from Win2K box. No problems. However,
> 'ps aux|grep xxx' tells me it's only running sshd, not sshd2, probably
> not relevant to your case, so just FYI ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrei
>
> >I'm using PuTTY to talk to several servers running 4.1, 4.4 and
> >various releases of BSD/OS, each of which is running SSH 3.1.0
> >built from source. Today I built a FreeBSD 4.5 machine and
> >installed SSH. PuTTY connects but just sits there. No login
> >prompt.
> >
> >I killed the daemon ran `sshd2 -d 2' and nothing obvious showed
> >up in `auth.log'.
> >
> >Next, I uninstalled 3.1.0 and installed 2.3.0 from the ports
> >collection. Same result.
> >
> >Is this a 4.5 thing?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Scott

Take a look at /etc/ssh/ssh.config. You can uncomment the line that says
protocol 2,1 and change it to protocol 2. That will force a connect with ssh2
only.

Beech
      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957