Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:00:25 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "J. Altman" <freebsd-announce@chthonic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 8.1; Perl; and libgcrypt

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:20:27PM +0000, J. Altman wrote:
> Greetings...
>=20
> I am looking at upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0 on an AMD64.

In case you're upgrading from source, do not forget to delete the archivers=
/xz
port before doing a buildworld, else buildworld will fail.
=20
> As you know, Perl is now at 5.12 and requires a recursive dependency
> rebuild; and so does libgcrypt.
>=20
> This seems to be a rather extensive pair of updates.

I would advise you to use portmaster;

  1) portmaster -o lang/perl5.12 lang/perl5.10
  2) portmaster p5-

That worked for me.

> Perl, while (IIRC) it is in the base system

Not anymore.

> I also can't remember if a recursive rebuild of all ports after an
> upgrade across releases was ever recommended. For some reason, I think
> I read that somewhere.

Only when switching between major versions. In that case it is best to make=
list of all installed ports (portmaster -L), delete all ports before the
upgrade, and install the 'root' and 'leaf' ports from the list again.

> My point with these questions is to move toward 8.1 in the most
> economical manner.

If you are running a GENERIC kernel, you could use freebsd-update. That is
probably the fastest.

Roland
--=20

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm