Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, "litos2001@libero.it" <litos2001@libero.it>
Subject:   Re[3]: Startup scripts a la NetBSD

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, David Xu wrote:

> I like the idea, it has unique start/stop interface, I needn't
> remember obscure parameters for every daemon, it really got me.
> but am I dreaming? I suspect it will never be native supported
> in FreeBSD.

We already have it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. Works identically to SYSV-style
start/stop scripts. Use it, love it. My emulator just provides a
linux-style /etc/rc.d heirarchy, a chkconfig(8)-compatible script, and
start- and stop scripts for that system. This came about to placate lazy
engineers and I kinda got used to it. :)

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org