Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2014 23:13:32 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        chump1@hushmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beagle recommendations

Do you have options SMP in your kernel?

Warner

On Jan 2, 2014, at 10:22 PM, chump1@hushmail.com wrote:

>=20
> I have a fairly simple task that involves processing something in a 2D =
array, MxN times. I took a naive approach, 1x process 1x thread, and it =
took a little longer than desired. Well now, I could do better with some =
multi processing, especially on a multi core box, right?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Well, I have not had much luck. At first I spawned M threads and had =
each iterate over each N in turn, with M between 25-35. It took much, =
much longer than the single thread. I figured contention and overhead =
were costing me big, and gave it a shot with a scaled down version of =
the problem, M=3D10. Still, much slower than the single thread. A little =
confused, I went back to the big problem set (25-35), and made a new =
program that spawned only two threads, and each is limited to processing =
only even or only odd data sets. Even that still takes twice as long as =
the single thread version! What is up with that?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> More important asides, I am barely doing any real processing at all. =
It is basically a no-op, barely doing more than incrementing the =
counter. Should I expect to see performance gains once I am doing real =
work in the processing portion of my program? Should I expect to see =
much different behavior on a different OS? Also I have one physical =
processor, two cores. Would I see better gains with more cores? How do =
you find processes and threads scale against hardware overall?