Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:17:00 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Don Barkley <dbarkley@buhlpress.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 install on Gateway 920

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:17:28PM -0500, Don Barkley wrote:
> i am having a problem installing 4.8 on a new Gateway 920.
> the system boots and asks for mfsroot.flp.
>
> almost immediately after, i get the following:
>
> Fatal trap 10: trace trap while in vm86 mode
> .. instruction, stack and frame pointers follow ...
> trap number = 10
> panic: trace trap
> Uptime: 1s
>
> anyone seen this before? any suggestions? thanks.

It could be that one of your floppies is bad or that some bad code has
entered the floppie images. (I had the later one time.) The solution for
the first option is to get new floppies, the solution for the later is
to use floppies of earlies version, install that and then upgrade.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/