Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reacting to conflicting WITH_* variables

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> What is the canonical way of handling conflicting WITH_{FOO,BAR}
> variables?
>
> Say a port can be compiled with WITH_THIS or WITH_THAT, but not both,
> What is the right way to bail out?

I would do something like:

.if defined(WITH_FOO) && defined(WITH_BAR)
.error You can define WITH_FOO or WITH_BAR, but not both
.endif

Or, something more fitting bsd.port.mk style:

.if defined(WITH_FOO) && defined(WITH_BAR)
	@{ECHO} You can define WITH_FOO or WITH_BAR, but not both
	@{FALSE}
.endif

I'm not sure there is a One True Way for this problem.