Date:      Sun, 22 May 2005 06:47:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Vaibhave Agarwal <vaibhave@cs.utah.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: npxintr from nowhere

> If you have a system newer than a 486SX, then npx interrupts shouldn't
> be used for anything except to probe that not using them works.

Can i disable the FPU, by commenting it out in
the kernel config file??

> It
> is barely possible that a bug in turning off npx interrupts after the
> probe results in one being delivered much later (there have been bugs
> in this area).

I have enclosed part of my code in splimp() and splx().
Is that possible, that it queues the npx interrupt and deliver it
later??
If this is the case, what shall I do??

> If it was a real npx interrupt, then the address of the FP instruction
> that caused it should be in the FPU state in the kernel dump.

The kernel dump, shows that a line which has a "CALL" to a particular
function caused the FPU interrupt, which is so wierd and the function
also doesnt have any FP instruction.
How can a CALL to a fuction cause the FPU interrupt, when the argument to
the function are two valid  pointers ?
And the kernel has called that function at least 1000 times, before it
gave an interrupt.

thanks a lot bruce
-vaibhave