Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:07:54 -0600
From:      "Aaron Sonntag" <aaron@sonntag.org>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Aaron Sonntag" <aaron@sonntag.org>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SCSI RAID controller support

Thank your for your help thus far!

Mr. Smith, you said that I can't mirror the boot drive either.  How would
you go about securing the OS in a server such as the one I am looking at
purchasing?  It doesn't do me much good to have 10,000 worth of hot swap
drives and power supplies if my main OS is still residing on a single point
of failure... any thoughts?  What is the minimum I would have to have on
this boot drive?  I could put /usr and /var and /etc on the RAID array
correct?  Or do you mean I can't have the boot sector proper on the raid
array... meaning that a tiny slice of the OS for the boot partition is all I
need to be off of the array?  I have to make this system completely
redundant at least one time over and at this point the only hole seems to be
the lack of any ability to protect the main OS with mirroring via
hardware(controller) or software(FreeBSD vinum?).  Your thoughts and time
are greatly appreciated.

Aaron