Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 16:58:16 +0800
From:      Vernon Stinebaker <vds@EDSChina>
To:        questions@freebsd.org

I am attempting to run FreeBSD 2.1 as a gateway allowing my local LAN to
connect to the internet via a ppp connection with a local ISP.  I am able
to establish the ppp connection and utilize services on the FreeBSD gateway,
however I am unable to access the services provided through the ISP on any
of the LAN clients.  The LAN clients can utilize services provided directly
by the FreeBSD gateway (i.e. I have httpd running and am able to access the
local web pages, I am able to telnet to the machine, and am able to use lpd
to provide print services to the LAN).  I have read the available online
documentation and have followed the directions to the best of my knowledge.

Any insight anyone can provide on what I am not doing, or am doing wrong
would be greatly appreciated.

My server/gateway is a FreeBSD 2.1.
The hosts file contains the following:

     127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost

     198.132.98.3	EDSChina	EDSChina.com
     198.132.98.4	PrintServer	PrintServer.EDSChina.com

     198.132.98.10	vds

     202.96.0.133	ns		ns.bta.net.cn
     202.96.0.104	comserv		comserv.bta.net.cn
     202.96.0.97	public		public.bta.net.cn

The resolv.conf contains the following:

     nameserver	202.96.0.133

With a ppp connection established the output from netstat -r follows:

     Routing tables

     Internet:
     Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
     default          public             UGc         3      149      ppp0
     localhost        localhost          UH          0        9       lo0
     198.132.98       link#2             UC          1        0
     EDSChina         0:80:c8:c:10:ae    UHLW        0        6       lo0
     vds              0:80:c8:c:51:27    UHLW        4     3019       de0    908
     public           ts1-25.bta.net.cn  UH          4       12      ppp0
     BASE-ADDRESS.MCA link#2             UCS         0        0

I have ip forwarding enabled (server is acting as a gateway).
Named is not running.

My client system is running OS/2 Warp Connect.
Output from netstat -r follows:

    destination         router    refcnt        use flags     snmp  intrf
                                                             metric
        default    198.132.98.3       0         138    U       -1   lan0
   198.132.98.0   198.132.98.10       3        5230    U       -1   lan0

The hosts file contains the following:

   198.132.98.10	vds
   198.132.98.3		EDSChina.com

The resolv file contains the following lines:

   domain EDSChina.com
   nameserver 198.132.98.3

NOTE - the named daemon is not running on the FreeBSD server.  I have attempted
       different combinations with the resolv.conf file but the outcome has
       remained the same.

When I execute traceroute from the OS/2 system using an IP address, it forwards
the address to the FreeBSD server, but does not seem to forward it beyond that
point (i.e. following two lines of echos from the FreeBSD server, the remaining
hops are all '*').

 0  EDSChina.com (198.132.98.3)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
 1  EDSChina.com (198.132.98.3)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *

I have attempted to increase both the hop count (ttl) and the wait time during
traceroute, but still receive the same results.

Again, any insight would be greatly appreciated.  I would be more than happy
to provide any additional information that might be helpful in the resolution
of this problem.

Thanks in advance for your time and any assistance you might provide.