Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:31:32 +0100
From:      n0g0013 <ttw@cobbled.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: basic driver build environment

On 17.09-12:00, M. Warner Losh wrote:
[ ... ]
> : 	a.      cleaner config for building modules in random
> : 	directory (thought '-I' to make would work but it doesn't)
[ ... ]
> When I'm developing a new module, I do the following:
>
> setenv SYSDIR /path/to/freebsd/src/sys
> make
>
> The Makefile looks like
>
> # Maybe have a .PATH here
>
> KMOD=	     foo
> SRCS=	     foo_a foo_b
>
> .include <bsd.kmod.mk>
>
> At work, we wrap setting SYSDIR in an include file, since our build
> system knows about it.

i get the following (plus more similar) error/s

	@/sys/bus.h:456:23: device_if.h: No such file or directory

even when setting the SYSDIR to "/usr/src/sys".  perhaps i'm missing
something about the "wrap setting SYSDIR in an include file" to make
it work???

if i understand correctly it's looking for the kernel architecture
files from the kernel build (i.e in the 'obj' directory).

apologies if i'm being braindamaged here.