Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:01:34 +0400
From:      georg@dts.su
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Please help - adaptec 2820sa not allowing installation

Hello.

> Ensel Sharon wrote:
>> I did all my due diligence, I contacted freebsd-fs and _made sure_ that
>> even though the 2820sa is not listed by name in the HCL, that I could take
>> a 6.1-RELEASE cd and install freebsd on a 2820sa.
>>
>> I was _assured_ that these cards are supported in 6.1-RELEASE, that all is
>> well, and I could install and that was that.
>>

> No, you were not assured, at least not by when we discussed this last
> week.  I told you that I personally did not guarantee that it worked,
> only that I had heard reports that it did.

> You have two variables here.  One is that it's an array that is larger
> than what the aac driver has supported in the past.  Second is that it's
> RAID-6.  Both of these variables should be handled by the aac driver
> update that happened last year, but again, I couldn't validate it, so I
> can only go with the reports of others.

> As others suggested, you need to experiment with simplier
> configurations.  This will help us identify the cause and hopefully
> implement a fix.  No one is asking you to throw away money or resources.
> Since you've already done the simple test with a single drive, could you
> do the following two tests:

> 1.  RAID-5, full size (whatever >2TB value you were talking about).
> 2.  RAID-6, <2TB.

>  From there, I'll figure out what needs to be done to get it fully
> working for you.

I have Adaptec 2820SA on my FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE. But it work in RAID-10
mode. I was build RAID-5, RAID-6, but FreeBSD (5.3, 5.4, 6.0, 6.1 don't see this raid
drive.) On my system also work Adaptec freebsd_cli for 2820SA.

--
Network Engineer, SYMBIOS LTD
georg [GM5350-RIPE]                                  mailto:georg@dts.su