Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:20:22 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, Jeremy Nelson <jnelson@acronet.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> Precisely.  Having two separate sound drivers is simply confusing and
> increases the amount of cruft in the tree.

	Ok, let me get this straight. Things like xten and qcam stay IN the
tree, in spite of,

1) They are broken, and/or work in only a limited number of cases.
2) In the case of qcam can actually cause kernel panics.
3) Are only relevant to an extremely small subset of potential freebsd
customers.

Yet you plan to yank the voxware driver in spite of,

1) It works just fine, in fact it does more that luigi's alternative.
2) Is perfectly safe.
3) Supports a HUGE installed base of sound cards.

And your logic for this is that it's confusing and adds to bloat?  With
all of the other useless, antiquated, nonsense that's in the tree now
your answer is to delete something that works?

> Furthermore, if those who
> have complained so far would put even a tenth of the amount of effort
> into helping Luigi add MIDI and FM support to the new driver, we
> wouldn't even be having this little conversation.

	I was one of the first people to adopt the new driver in -Stable, and
in fact I helped debug the problems with it in -Stable and I still use
it. I don't need midi or synth support, so I'm not motivated to help add
support for either, but if someone else does add it I will be glad to
test it on my humble, 4 year old original SB 16. On the other hand, I AM
strongly motivated by stupid management decisions.

	You've had about a dozen responses from people who are saying, "I use
the voxware driver and I'd miss it if there were no suitable
replacement." Given that most of the people who will be affected by this
decision aren't reading the lists, you should consider that an
overwhelming reason not to nuke voxware. I tried to be polite with this
observation in my previous post, but your argument that, "If I delete
voxware which works and people like then they will work on pcm instead"
simply cannot go past without comment.

	While I can't code a new sound driver, I will be happy to use my
documentation skills to help with keeping the two seperate drivers less
"confusing" if anyone's interested. Just point me at what needs
clarification.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!