Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:44:04 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        Jeffrey Auerbach <jeff@starmedia.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: oracle client for FreeBSD

Jeffrey Auerbach wrote:

> Are there any oracle DB clients for FreeBSD?  IS there any software that I
> can use to connect to my Oracle DB (incidentally is on Solaris)?

1. Directly:   (i.e. without middleware)
   1.1 Using  java think driver by Oracle.
       - :
         a) (Bad handling of International characters, sometime driver retry
errors
          "Can not convert character XX ")
         b) Very low performance of java code.
   1.2. Using SCO emulator.
          (try search in freebsd mailing lists about Oracle, you wil find a
guy,
           which run Oracle)
       -:
          a) You need SCO libs
          b) You must to do all on top of SCO emulator, i. e. native FreeBSD
code
               is not work.

2. Indirectly,
      Using middleware apps, which run on ORACLE  server.
       1.  If you develop custom app, then simple transfer information from
database
            from you server by socket connection.
       2.  You can use perl::DBD::net
             (requiare some hacking)
       3. You can use CORBA ORB.
             (it is as 1, but cleaner)
       4. If you need to provide info from database to WWW, then
            fastcgi-cgi bridge is for you.
              (details on http://www.fastcgi.com)
             I was used this tehnology, for me work quite well.
      5.  If you need to run you ORACLE apps on FreeBSD --- now I work
           under RPC-Oracle bridge.  It consists from server on the mashine
           with native ORACLE client and client library on FreeBSD, which
           provide standart OCI interface. It mean, that if you have existing

           applications, writeln for ORACLE on C or C++ or oraperl, than you
           can recompile it under FreeBSD without any changes
         (one limitation --- I support only  deferred mode)

         But I can not say, when it would be finished,
           becouse now I have many other work and development
           (in background mode) temporary stopped.
           Now cdemo2 work fine ;)

         If I will return to this stuff after holidays, than, I think near
.02.98
         full interface would be released.

    Yet one tip:
        Middleware solutions have better performace, in general, becouse
       native ORACLE clients are very big, and start slow. If you will run
native
       ORACLE client as persistent service, and will start light client on
       request,  it would be faster, then starting ORACLE client on each
       request.