Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:55:02 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougGuy@san.rr.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to shutdown to single user in 4.0?

Stan Brown wrote:

>         How do I _shut down_ to single user in 4.0. I lnow i can door shutdown
>         0r and catch it on the way up, and do a boot -s, but on 3.x I could do
>         "shutdown now", and wind up in single user,

	This didn't change. What happens when you type "shutdown now" at a root
prompt?

> so that I could cd /usr/src
>         ; make world; make kernel ; and reboot to upgrafe.

	You don't need to go to single user mode to upgrade unless you have a
lot of other users logging into your system. At worst, you can do 'make
buildworld' multi-user, then switch to single user and do 'make
installworld' which only takes a few minutes. The combination of make
buildworld and make installworld do everything that 'make world' does.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.