Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:06:20 -0700
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:23:57PM -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
>=20
> Does it have to be new? =20
>=20
> The best deal might be to get a used laptop.  Then it doesn't matter
> what it originally shipped with, all you care about is whether it's on
> the FreeBSD hardware compatibility list.
>=20
> Along these lines, I've seen many people recommending used ThinkPads.
> Might not be powerful enough for the latest Windows, but more than
> capable for running a BSD.

Be very careful buying used laptops.  There are a lot of refurbishers who
are very shady, and a lot of private sellers online that are trying to
make a fast buck off broken hardware.

In fact, I wrote some code for a shady refurbisher last year to clean
infections of their laptops -- infections that had worked its way into
the images they used to clone drives for refurbished computers.  I think
thousands of their systems probably went out infected before they had me
automate the virus-cleaning process for them.

The short version is simply that I've seen how shady refurbishers work,
up close and personal.  Let the buyer beware.

--=20

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--