Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 01:06:40 -0700
From:      Scott Gasch <scott@wannabe.guru.org>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sharity light

Guys,

In order to mount a SMB (NT/9x) file share on your FreeBSD box you need
rumba (more recently known as Sharity Light).

However, when I recently tried to use this I ran into difficulties that
were ascribed to the fact that my NT PDC is >NT4SP3.  The problem is, I
take it, that NT at this stage uses password encryption (not a bad
idea).  One solution was to hack the registry to turn off the
encryption.

However, it seems to me that there ought to be a better way.  The
smbclient code seems to work just fine but it does not let you mount the
filesystem.  I don't particularly want to fork over $100 for a
commercial version of sharity.  Does anyone else have another solution
here (besides writing something new based on smbclient)?

Please CC me directly on replies and thanks for your time.

Scott